Monday, May 11, 2009

I am so proud...

Your kids are amazing! I gave them the opportunity to help and they came through like champs. About two weeks ago, I showed the students a blog where a fund raiser would take place to help feed families who literally ate from a dump in Honduras. They were all so touched and wanted to help.

On Tuesday, the fund raiser was taking place and a few students had brought some money but the majority had not. They were so upset with themselves. All morning I hear "man, I can't believe I forgot." So, I tell them to bring their money the next day.

I sent a comment to the blog fund raiser that we had $8 and would bring more the next day. That story spread like wildfire!!!!! People were so inspired by your children. When I showed the comments from others about the class those kids went nuts. My favorite comment was "We are feeding Honduras!" It was so touching to me.

When it was all said and done, the class brought in $24.50. It was amazing. I know they are givers! Your kids have learned what it means to help someone else. They now know they have to get involved! I could not be any prouder of these kids!

Read the comments from "The Dump Fund" post and see how inspired others have been from your children!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Jenschke's third grade class,

    My name is Terri Tindall. I am a missionary in Honduras. I grew up not far from Childress, in a town called Borger. I love the sunsets in the Texas panhandle. They are the prettiest sunsets of anywhere on earth.

    I want to thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for what you gave to help feed the hungry people that live in the dump. Without your help, we would not have raised $11,500.00

    The dump is a very sad place. There are little children there, some about your age. The only food they have to eat is what they can find in the dump, someone else's garbage.

    We go there and feed them every Wednesday. We usually feed bologna sandwiches because that is cheap. Now we can feed different things.

    You guys are awesome for digging in deep and giving your money.

    If you want to read my blog, it is terriltindall.blogspot.com

    If you want to email me or if you have any questions about Honduras, you can email me at
    terriltindall@yahoo.com

    Thanks again for your generous donation.

    Terri Tindall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    You are quite a bit younger than me. I started first grade in 1962. I was born in Borger, as was my mom. My mom still lives there. My dad died in 1986 and my mom remarried seven years ago. Her name is Norma Helton. My husband is also from Borger. His parents still live there also. Their names are Don and Sue Tindall. They attend the Church of Christ at Borger. Many years ago there was Johnson Park church of Christ and Gardner Street church of Christ. They successfully merged. My in laws went to church at Johnson Park. I don't recognize the name of your parents, but I have been gone from there, since 1976, after I married.

    My dad was from Dodson. We still have relatives in Dodson and Wellington.

    Thanks again for encouraging your students to think of those less fortunate.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete